Sunday, June 20, 2010

Two people illegally detained in Newark Ohio for open carrying

On March 15th 2010 I held my first open carry meet on the east side of Newark Ohio. We had about a dozen people turn out, which for a first time meet I thought was pretty good. We had a few from all age ranges including a retired military man who was the life of the party.

We talked about fishing, grand kids etc. over chicken sandwiches & pop. As we where closing our meet, my son (age 21) and his girlfriend left the building heading to their car. That is when the Newark police swarmed in, put him in cuffs up against his car, took his gun and demanded ID.

When I approached the scene I was lead to the middle of the street, gun taken and threatened with jail by officer Fleming if I didn't produce an ID. Obviously he has no respect for our rights or he doesn't know the law in this area as he told me he can demand ID from anyone anytime and if they refuse he can arrest them, which is total BS.

Luckily some of the people attending had video phones and began recording this assault on our civil rights. I admit I should have remained more calm, but the whole scene was uncalled for and planted the seed for the birth of  Licking County Open Carry Club.

Here is a few minutes of the ugly showdown:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9uq5mMRG6A

No comments:

Post a Comment