Monday, October 11, 2010

Making Open Carry meetings a priority

Open Carry is on the move and growing, no doubt about it. Still compared to the popularity of concealed carry and the sheer lack of knowledge by the masses that  open carry is even legal in most states, we still have a ways to go.

One thing that is happening in several states is open carry meetings. Regular citizens taking it upon themselves to host or organize events around open carry. Cookouts, picking up trash along the road, meeting at restaurants just to name a few.

These are all great and will greatly help the cause of getting more Americans to go armed, open or concealed. I had a man and his wife tell me that while open carry isn't for them, seeing me carry has prompted them to go get their concealed handgun license. This is also a win for OC.

One troubling thing I have noticed, especially when these meets are posted on various Internet forums is the response by many. What do I mean?

Often times people will post a reply to one of these announcements with something like "if I do not have anything to do on that day I will attend" or "I would love to attend but I have to .....".

I'd like to suggest making attending or hosting a meet a priority. Say "I will be there and if something else comes up, it will have to wait" or something to that effect. Or this one time I can skip my regular activity to attend.

The OC meets are a great way to meet other folks who carry and to make some lasting friendships. I have met quite a few people since I started organizing OC meets & I am proud to call several of them my friends.

They also help educate the public in a very positive way.

We  need to face it, in most states we will never be free to OC with complete confidence of not being bothered by LEO's or freaking an uninformed person until more people OC. This is what stops many people from doing it to start with.

Just something I hope to get people to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment